Alter Aeon Community Forum
January 23, 2018, 07:45:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using the board system as a blog?  (Read 4213 times)
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2009, 06:24:59 pm »

As you all know, I have a dev blog over on http://mobfactory.blogspot.com.  Is it a valid thing to do to create a board for similar purposes here?  Eg prevent topic creation except by admins/me, while everyone else can comment on it?  That's pretty much all blogspot does.
Talos
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:14:31 am »

As you all know, I have a dev blog over on http://mobfactory.blogspot.com.  Is it a valid thing to do to create a board for similar purposes here?  Eg prevent topic creation except by admins/me, while everyone else can comment on it?  That's pretty much all blogspot does.

I don't think so.  I think that the two serve entirely different purposes.

Blogs, while usually allowing some level of feedback in the form of comments, are typically meant more as a one-way publishing medium.

Forums are highly interactive and encourage participation largely because it's so free-form that there's likely always something to pique a viewer's interest enough to jump in and participate.

Practically speaking, I've found the forum to be a great traffic driver because the volume and variety of topics and posts lead to the site being discovered under keywords you would never think to target from a pure SEO perspective.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:37:50 am »

Ok.  I hadn't planned on getting rid of the mob factory anyway, in some ways it's just my outlet for propaganda and other stuff that likely isn't suitable here.
Skoal
Administrator

Fingering the Muse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:59:04 am »

But by all means, cross link the two - increasing visibility to both.

Madrox

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:57:51 pm »

no there is no way to blog on here.. though it would be very kool to be able to... the only thing i know where u can make blogs on a forum site is like php nuke and still then you have to install it.....

The Keeper Of Life
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: