Alter Aeon Community Forum
January 22, 2018, 12:38:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Incoming Warrior Skills  (Read 10429 times)
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2009, 05:09:27 am »

The next major chunk of unified stuff I had planned to work on involves warrior skills.  For the record, I have a file with hundreds upon hundreds of skills in them; I'm seriously not interested in yet another combat skill.  Please don't post why your 'super dragon kick' skill should be added.

1) 'protect' - allow a warrior to take another single group member under his/her wing.  Like tanking, only dedicated to a particular individual.  This should help protect newbies, mages, and lower levels in groups.

2) Spread fighting out into four rings:

Ring 1 - melee, multiple parallel tanks
Ring 2 - standing back, takes quarter damage from incidentals but only does 75% damage
Ring 3 - casters, no melee damage
Ring 4 - bystanders

This is mostly an infrastructure change, but it allows some interesting behavior.  One possible skill would be 'group tactics', to allow multiple tanks that spread the hits between them automatically.

3) 'watchful eye' - allow instantaneous and automatic waking when something enters the room.  Never be caught with your pants down again...

4) 'deep sleep' - improved hitpoint regen while sleeping, but it takes a while to go in and takes a while to come out.

5) Various monster lore skills, currently being worked on by Locane.  This is a whole suite of different skills.

6) 'revenge' - dependent on berserk.  If berserking after a group members death (within say 15 prompts), you go into a revenge rage for a while.

7) 'shield mastery', used to block things like breath weapons and some magic attacks with physical components.

This is a first cut at what's likely to come down the pipeline soon.  Some of these are easy, some are not.  If you've got any interesting extensions to these, feel free to post them.
Shift

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 05:22:16 am »

I just want to say WOW, the warrior class is going to become super interesting...love the tactics, protect and actually all of them, heh.

Shift
boa

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 05:25:24 am »

Protect and light sleeping sound like winners.
Skoal
Administrator

Fingering the Muse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:26:21 am »

I could use some 'deep sleep' in r/l

Madrox

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:50:34 pm »

They all sound real good and could possible make the warrior class abit more fun and interesting

The Keeper Of Life
germs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:20:09 am »

Angrywe should make deep sleep gain a ton of hp per tick. like 100hp per tick for level 30 warriors. Make it better than heal. That would do more to improve the warrior class than all these oddball skills that don't really look like they'd make a very big impact. Mages will ALWAYS be the best class and warriors will ALWAYS be the worst class if you don't create a few drastically good skills like my version of deep sleep that i suggested.

You are too exhausted to do that.
Cu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 10:14:39 am »

I really like the idea of a shield block, would give me an excuse to use a one handed weapon, my fastest bringer is just rotting in my weightless.

I'd also like to see a skill called spell shield, a skill that makes field of negative/positive energy, which surrounds the user and will absorb the first offensive spell cast by a mage, non cast level dependant. Then on from that a skill or spell that anti magic’s a room you are in! Could be the same skill tree!

Warriors also need some effective way of stopping scrolls been used on them, maybe this shield energy spell could be expanded to include protection vers cast level spells like cone, ball and fireweb or even dispel, element based shield skills if you will.

Also the riding skill would be really cool to have, if you expanded it to include the monster lore locane is working on. I’d also suggest the likes of lances or spears should only be able to be used while mounted due to the high size and weight of those spears.

Riding could sap mv +50% faster but hit say +20% harder, of course you wouldn’t be able ride in doors like temple of dentin.

Who wouldn’t love to ride a dragon through the streets of Ral!
ox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 06:29:36 am »

Maybe a very high level cleric spell to support multiple parallel tanks (I feel like cleric has nothing going for them past 31). Soul Link: 20% of damage is redirected to nearby allies/other frontliners?
Cu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 09:55:48 am »

Just thinking on the riding skill, it wouldn't be good to have mv reduced while mounted due to the fact that the mount would be using up its mv, so a reduction in the mounted players mv wouldn't be enough of a minus for the benfits the riding skill would add to combat.

Also we could introduce a player flagged post hitching command, and a few stalls and hitching posts near recall sites like glade or unholy.
Peko

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:13:32 pm »

Well, It seems strange to me that your MV would decrease when riding something.. I mean, when you're riding a horse it's a lot easier to go 10 miles than if you'd walked.. It does also seem that damage increases would occur, because you're using the velocity of the creature with spears and lances etc.. Maybe you just can't zerk or tank while riding something? Mv could be based more on the animal your riding than your own? Perhaps the creatures mv would be effected by its size/strength and your weight? It could also effect the creatures dexterity, and susceptibility towards taking hits?

Maybe you've had suggestions for skills like this before but..
I was just thinking of a warrior skill called Precision - An automatic skill - where during battle, similar to a freak stab, there would be a chance to do extra damage. The chance and damage would rely on the advancement of the skill. It could be trained once, but perhaps only experience in battle could increase your skill level. I can see it being either a low level skill that takes a characters life time to build up, or perhaps a high level 32/33 skill that doesn't take quite as long to learn. perhaps there's a better way to describe a warriors precision in the game, but I like the idea of a skill that reflects a sort of warrior "instinct" or subconscious knowledge about the opponents vulnerabilities in hand to hand combat. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:38:30 pm by Peko » Logged
Peko

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 08:23:27 pm »

I was also thinking about the 'deep sleep' skill, in combination of the way 'watchful eye' would help, and was wondering about a precursor skill to deep sleep, called meditation - which could be like resting, but more effective. The regeneration bonus would depend on your class level.. higher level thief/warrior skill would add bonus to hp regeneration in regards to the ratio of hps gained during leveling (Warrior gaining slightly more hps than the Thief class) - where in the same manner, mage and cleric classes would have increased mana regen (Clerics having a slight hps regen bonus as well). It would be a general level skill, probably preceding deep sleep for warriors - it could be automatic, using the same commands as resting, or maybe lag time for entering/exiting similar to deep sleep could make it separate. It would have the same response from mobs as the 'rest' mode. All these new ideas for warrior are getting me thinking, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 01:09:24 am by Peko » Logged
Cu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 08:17:56 am »

The mount skill on other muds I've seen does just that. MV is from the mount you mount (mount, mount) with a person fighting you able to target the mob just like someone targetting the roots mob. Maybe we could expand this skill to include different types of animals like dragon, horse and moogle? Tongue again maybe tied into Locanes mob thing. Str and size and what you are wearing weight wise should effect mounts this way. Might even make size/-size eq worth something again.

Precision seems like a good idea but I'll add that already we have something of a freak when hitting, sometimes I get 4 or 5 white demos unzerked in a round due to this.

germs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 07:45:23 pm »

There was a player on the other day, and he was talking about this warrior skill that worked like enchant but produced randoms instead of enchants. Sounds like a cool idea. A level 30 warrior gathers up all his strength and punches an imperial haidate as hard as he can and the result is a random. Often times the randoms are only temporary or they blow up in the warrior's face, but every once in a while he'll get a perm.

On a side note, i'd like to see +/-size be factored in to skills more often as well. There seems to be this persistent myth floating around the mud that bash is affected by +size. Could Dentin please confirm/deny this myth?

You are too exhausted to do that.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 03:00:21 am »

Size is actually used by a lot of spells and skills, the big problem is that it's just not obvious.  It's hard to convey size differences and the way they work currently.  I'm not sure that it's going to be an easy thing to improve.
Shift

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 04:15:54 am »

cackle, reviewing this, I can see Jason and jason-like players using revenge a lot...

Shift
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: