Alter Aeon Community Forum
October 15, 2019, 09:12:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mage/cleric  (Read 7202 times)
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:17:09 pm »

I've been seriously considering doing a major revamp and rework of the cleric class to make it less like a general mage caster and have it better match the physics of the world as exists in my head.  There's probably a number of things I could do without major damage, but I'm also partial to adding something like 'faith points' as the unit of casting power for clerics.  Granted there are a lot of other things to do as well, but this seems like it would be a real differentiator for the class and might make things more interesting in the long run.
germs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:09:30 pm »

i agree, let's change cleric. Although i am skeptical about the 'faith points'. does making the mud more technically complicated add depth or does it just increase the learning curve? granted some people play these kinds of games because they get off on how technically complicated they are.

You are too exhausted to do that.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:23:17 pm »

That's a good question, but I don't think it necessarily has to increase complexity, or be a noticeable increase to new players.  The idea that mages use mana and clerics use faith isn't exactly rocket science; anyone familiar with the terms 'mage' and 'cleric' probably would expect that anyway.
Tree

Elmbot V2.0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:15:22 am »

Do you have some type of comparable equation that you've come up with already for spells and faith points? I'd like to see an example of the idea in hopes to come up with something greater than 'Eh, it's iffy'.

A suggestion would be to have select trusted people make a new ltype (Gasp!) character or be assigned them and run them around with the faith point systems and see how the interact with the world and other players. Again, a suggestion.

I Hate You.
Cria

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 06:58:57 pm »

Hello!

I'd like to see some more scaling with cleric levels and certain spells.  Heal is an extremely important cleric spell, for both solo and groups, but a player is only required to be level 22 to learn heal.  There is no scaling as far as i can tell with the entire heal tree, harm tree, sanctuary.  This means that a lot of players level cleric to 22 or have it as their last class, and don't have a lot of incentive to level higher than that.

I think a little bit of scaling would be cool for these spells, say maybe +10hps to heals and harms cast  level 30 and above.
I'm not sure sanc should be changed at all, maybe 5% more or less damage based on level?

On the topic of cleric faith rather than mana - Sounds interesting.

So a mage could use all their mana blasting a mob, then afterwards with 0 mana, use their faith points to cast heal and other cleric spells? (assuming they are a mage/cleric like me).  That would be pretty advantageous to mage clerics, probably too much so.

I agree that more needs to be done with clerics to make them have a more unique set of skills. (maybe some more druid like spells/skills like roots?)

And please, if mobs are going to recall when charm wears off, at least make it last longer!

-Cria
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:17:10 pm »

Like tree mentioned, I think the only real sane way to split the classes casting abilities would be with another ltype in the short term.  I don't have equations or algorithms in mind at the moment.

The spell/skill scaling thing Cria mentioned may be another part of the problem with the cleric class, though I hadn't really thought too much about it until recently.  I do have a handful of complete skill sets I'd like to add for clerics anyway, so we can expect to see some work put there in the near future.
Mason

A restraining order is another form of love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 12:45:25 pm »

I do like Dentin's idea on faith points, however i hope its not like the favor points we have now. If its something like "pray at this spot" or "sacrifice this object" im all for it. Im just not sure if these faith points would tick down or be permanent or what.

And as far as the cleric tree goes Ill agree with Cria on this one, the real only incentive of gaining clerical levels is higher group casting levels and randomly created cleric hitting stuff (or atleast for me). I mean honestly when i leveled my first 31 i really just did it for the 31 eq, but i really think that applies to all the classes now that i think about it. Even the top mage spell is really not that desirable and there is nothing for thieves or warriors past 28

STOP FEEDING ME
ganji

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 04:11:02 am »

I wouldn't mind seeing the cap for age go up or be removed. 
Would be neat to see how much mana and it's regen would
go up vs hp and it's regen going down.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 02:50:08 am »

The problem with that is that unless I seriously tweaked the curves, you could always make up for the hp loss through mana regen.  I like that each curve has a peak anyway, it forces people to balance the two against each other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: