Alter Aeon Community Forum
June 27, 2019, 10:44:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some possible adjustments to enchanting?  (Read 3765 times)
Fehlan

WALKING SHADOW, BURNING PAIN

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2010, 07:48:38 pm »

Me and Laud worked out this idea today, and just seemed to make sense, I'm wondering what others think of it.

Enchanting is very basic here, and VERY random. It should really be more controlled and controllable. Why should enchantments be limited to making armor stronger and the occasional random effect to dwindle off? Why not a way to bind those random effects to the item? Basically, a permanence spell. Here's our idea for it:

Lvl: 32 cleric (maybe into a new class tree that's more strongly connected to enchanting, but enchant
                   armor is a cleric spell at the moment, so I'm going with that.)

Req:   30 wisdom, 27 intelligence

Desc: Though tensile strength cannot be made permanent, when the energy bound into an enchanted
         piece of armor takes other properties, a ritual binding can be done, using the spiritual energy of
         a slain mortal form (use of a corpse as material component? Opening for a soul-capturing spell?).
         Being a ritual, and considering the powers necessary to permanently bind magic energies to a
         mundane form, this spell may only be groupcast. The dangers of binding magic to armor is as great
         as removing them. The more potent the effects to be bound, the more participants required to
         safely bind (opposite principles as dispel? Adding participants equating to adding levels, of course.)

As said before, this was a rough idea sketched out pretty quickly. Is this feasible with current code? If not, is it unreasonable to add new code for it? How about the soul capturing aspect? What are player and builder opinions on this idea?

Fehlan

From one shadow to the next, only a brief glimpse is left....
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:46:17 pm »

I fully agree that there's a crapload of things that could be done with enchant, and this post adds a bit to my already extensive lists.  However, for the time being, I'm holding off on pretty much all new spell/skill work until classes get more straightened out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: