Alter Aeon Community Forum
December 12, 2018, 02:50:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: area clean-up crew  (Read 12112 times)
germs

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:07:32 am »

>:(There are a bunch of rooms in the ash mountains and undead city without long descriptions. it is very unlikely that the original builders will ever come back and fix these inconsistencies. builders need to be assigned to correct this stuff. Nothing over the top or something you have to put a lot of thought into.

"There is snow everywhere and the slopes are very slippery and cold.
Glaring white light reflects off the surface of the glacier, assaulting
your eyes from all angels."

is better than nothing.

I started laughing when someone suggested that we put high level trainers in the undead city. IT'S NOT EVEN COMPLETE. THE AREA SUCKS.

You are too exhausted to do that.
Skoal
Administrator

Fingering the Muse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:38:16 pm »

I get all sorts of pissed off when heavenly angels assault me.

germs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:24:22 am »

Also Ralnoth needs to be reorganize so that it gets displayed correctly with the map command.
You know, so it makes sense? Can be properly mapped out grid-paper. That sort of thing.

Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:23:57 pm »

There's a lot of things that need to be cleaned up, but area descriptions in far off lands aren't real high on my priority list at the moment.  Further, there's not a lot of people who would write good descriptions that are willing to do only that.

What do you think about a way to do descriptions like a wiki?  Eg. if there's no description in a room, players can submit one and it gets filed kinda like a bug report for approval?
germs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 05:01:26 pm »

Ralnoth looks much better now. Ralnoth was one of the areas that i was thinking of as having several rooms without long descs, which I'm sure you noticed as you were walking around and expanding things.

Yes, i think a wiki-like approach to getting room longs into the game would be a good idea. as in use a web interface, not like the way that bugs get reported.

(if this is at all possible)add the vnum as the only word in the long desc on the rooms/mobs/eq with blank descriptions(in the mud). and then when a player comes across the blank desc(in the mud), they can go to a web forum and post a note. they put the vnum in the subject line and the new description in the text field. then, a select group of responsible web avatars(draak, shadowfax, dentin, byung ect.) who can look over the desc and edit as necessary and write comments. When they're finished, they mark the description as approved. after you get 3 or 4 approvals, then the desc gets added to the game.

What's the pay-off for writing the description? well, if a player gets 5 approved descriptions then the player gets a free practice or 200k gold Roll Eyes. something like that.

IF finding all the rooms without long descriptions is something that wouldn't be easy for you to do. i have a solution as how to handle that as well.

germs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:22:26 pm »

This probably isn't the correct topic to be posting this in, but we might be able to get new help pages written using the same method that I've described above. getting approval by dentin would obviously be a must.

Also, we need to update the guildmasters help page.

you can paste this new table into the help file:

Guild     Dir                           - Types of skills/spells
-------------------------------------------------------------
clerics:   s s s w n w              - sanctuary, heal, cure light
mages:   s s s s w w w s e      - fireball, summon, magic missile
thieves:  s s s s s s s e s e s   - backstab, dodge, sneak
warriors: s s s s e e e s e s     - parry, multiple attacks, kick, disarm
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:12:50 pm by germs » Logged

Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 01:35:38 pm »

[Off topic - yes, the help pages and directions need to be updated.  This is in the queue, but I wanted to wait for Ralnoth to settle a bit.]

I think your mechanism here is a bit too complex, and probably wouldn't work.  What I'd rather have:

- if there's no long desc, display a message instead saying how to submit a description, and if other descriptions have been submitted, how to display them.

- if you don't like any of the other descriptions, use the submit command to submit your own.

- when descriptions are submitted, a typo log entry is automatically created saying that a description is ready to be approved.  The gods actually check the typo logs pretty often, and the list usually stays below a couple hundred entries.

The web mechanism like you proposed is complicated and a pain in the ass for pretty much all parties.  I recognize that it will be hard to set descs in aggro areas, but I think we'll get many more descs regardless.

One final note - I had intended to put a long description editor into the client as a pop-up, so you could write descs there in a normal editor window instead of the in-game editor.
germs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 05:01:35 pm »

obviously your way is simpler and easier for you to do, but i just didn't figure going about things that way would render any real progress.

Any old god with spell check and a basic understanding of grammar can fix an entry in the typo log. but when it comes to determining how good and how appropriate a long description is, there ought to be a point of contention. Most people are probably going to submit poor and incorrect descriptions so we need to have some sort of deliberation to keep the garbage out before it gets ported.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:58:43 am by germs » Logged

Tree

Elmbot V2.0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 02:12:34 am »

Being back after a long hiatus, I've missed quite a few things, but shoddy descriptions is not one of them. I'd love the wiki idea of submitting a description, I'd do something useful aside from send 100 dollars every five years to the mud.  Grin

I Hate You.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 07:09:31 pm »

Honestly, I've been amazed at how productive the typo command has been.  It really seems to work well for players and gods alike; if I could find a way to do something similar with long descs it would go a long way to cleaning up unfinished areas.
germs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 11:50:25 am »

On an unrelated note...

Under the temple of dentin has a terrible layout.
It always has.
It looks like some piece of shit that was built
within the first 5 days of the mud when nobody
had any idea of how to coherently link rooms.

We should consider revamping it.

Fehlan

WALKING SHADOW, BURNING PAIN

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 08:43:33 pm »

If I remember right, Catacombs under Unholy WAS built within the first days of AA, and might even be THE first, possibly second area. And also if I remember right, theres not much there but mirrors, and nostalgia....

From one shadow to the next, only a brief glimpse is left....
Woem

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 04:04:53 pm »

There's nothing wrong with the area under the temple.  Additionally, if you want him to go around fixing every nonlinear area (see "those that can't be graphed on graph paper [easily]) it's not going to happen.  Nor should it.
germs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 12:28:13 am »

There's nothing wrong with the area under the temple.
yes there is.
Additionally, if you want him
"him"? there are plenty of people at dentin's disposal who can take care of the scraps for him.
to go around fixing every nonlinear area (see "those that can't be graphed on graph paper [easily])
i didn't say that.
it's not going to happen.  Nor should it.
who are you to dictate what is and what isnt going to happen?

Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 02:43:25 am »

Actually, I'm not hugely happy with the lower levels of my temple, simply because its not a very useful or interesting area.  Honestly, it's just too close to town to be anything other than a utility zone or museum.  I should probably add a few more things to it to give it character, but it seems unlikely that much can really be done with it in the long term.

As far as the nonlinear aspects go, I'm not terribly concerned about that.  Most of the nonlinearities come from screwy staircases.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: