Alter Aeon Community Forum
October 15, 2019, 09:46:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minor class related proposals  (Read 6280 times)
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2010, 04:18:46 am »

The first is unleveling, to address fame issues.  The basic idea is that you can give up a level 31 or higher, for precisely zero compensation, so as to use the fame elsewhere.  Only ltype 2 would be eligibile for this, due to issues with the way types 0 and 1 work. 

The second proposal is to allow one-time conversions from types 0 and 1 to type 2 characters.  There's a lot of things in the code that will be problematic for types 0/1 that are handled silently by type 2.

Unleveling somewhat limits the need for major class rebalancing as new classes come on-line, though it probably doesn't completely eliminate that need due to experience costs.  It also happens to address a current issue, that there's more levels to get than fame available to buy them. Players will be able to, if they're desperate, unlevel to move fame to another class.

Conversions from type 0/1 to type 2 are probably a less big deal, as the conversion is pretty straightforward.  Conversion would be optional (for now), usable once and absolutely permanent.

Comments?
Cria

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:46:53 am »

Conversion from type 0 to type 2 would set the chars hp/mana/mv to what it would be if it were a ltype 2 all along correct?
meyaa

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 06:45:02 am »

We could get rid of fame reqs  Grin
boa

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:36:03 am »

The first is unleveling, to address fame issues.  The basic idea is that you can give up a level 31 or higher, for precisely zero compensation, so as to use the fame elsewhere.  Only ltype 2 would be eligibile for this, due to issues with the way types 0 and 1 work. 

The second proposal is to allow one-time conversions from types 0 and 1 to type 2 characters.  There's a lot of things in the code that will be problematic for types 0/1 that are handled silently by type 2.

Unleveling somewhat limits the need for major class rebalancing as new classes come on-line, though it probably doesn't completely eliminate that need due to experience costs.  It also happens to address a current issue, that there's more levels to get than fame available to buy them. Players will be able to, if they're desperate, unlevel to move fame to another class.

Conversions from type 0/1 to type 2 are probably a less big deal, as the conversion is pretty straightforward.  Conversion would be optional (for now), usable once and absolutely permanent.

Comments?

Yeah,  I got a comment. So we get zero compensation to use unlevel? Sure, this works well for the 31's - but jesus christ, some of have 3 33's or dual 34's.  We spent literally BILLIONS OF EXP. Hell, our exp spent just on 'high level classes' is probably more than the TOTAL these level 31's have spent.  At the same time, compounding the issue, if we don't unlevel, we're screwed anyway because there isn't enough fame left to do to much of anything with in class 5 through 8.  This proposal is simply unacceptable.  This isn't a compromise, it's a punishment. There needs to be a better way, after all, we spent most of the exp with expectation of their being 4 classes forever. When the IDEA of new classes came in some of us already had literally 20 bill exp spent. As far as we knew, the game was going to be 4 34's or MAYBE 4 35's.  We would have done things like completely fix spell/skill trees and not spent billions of exp we would lose forever.  I reiterate, unacceptable.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:09:55 pm »

Cria:  yes.  Type 0/1 chars that were converted would have variable hp/mana/move as though they were type 2.  All their stats/skills etc would remain the same.

Boa:  I actually meant to provide unleveling as an extra option regardless, simply because sometimes people want to do stuff like that.  A lesser example would be switching primary classes on a low level character - it doesn't happen often and it's expensive, but sometimes it's worthwhile.

I still haven't decided how to approach the issue of letting players change out levels when new classes appear.  If I don't allow any class rearranging (other than deleveling to recoup fame), it'll be well over ten billion experience before anyone has to care about fame for the first new classes anyway.
boa

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 03:38:20 pm »

Cria:  yes.  Type 0/1 chars that were converted would have variable hp/mana/move as though they were type 2.  All their stats/skills etc would remain the same.

Boa:  I actually meant to provide unleveling as an extra option regardless, simply because sometimes people want to do stuff like that.  A lesser example would be switching primary classes on a low level character - it doesn't happen often and it's expensive, but sometimes it's worthwhile.

I still haven't decided how to approach the issue of letting players change out levels when new classes appear.  If I don't allow any class rearranging (other than deleveling to recoup fame), it'll be well over ten billion experience before anyone has to care about fame for the first new classes anyway.
It doesn't matter if it's 10 TRILLION before anyone has to care. Once we get there, that 50 fame we need turns into 400 needed pretty quickly. Honestly, if you put that command in, I'd be scared that I would accidentally unlevel and lose 2 bil exp spent and at least a month on timers. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to give up billions of exp, (we're talking several months for most people to run that exp) to get ~100 fame back.
If you want to allow full rearranging of classes, I say put unleveling in play, but please make us type out 'yes' completely or something like how ppk worked.
If we don't allow rearranging right after classes coming in and unleveling is my only recourse, I will be mighty upset.
Cria

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 07:08:10 pm »

Yea I'm not sure anyone will be able to muster up the motivation to unlevel.  Sounds like a lot of work down the drain to me.

On another note, are we still planning to drop xp cap to 1bil, and if so when can we expect that change to come in?
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:05:42 pm »

Boa:  regarding needing to type confirmation or whatever, I was going to handle it like that other command where it gives you a number that you have to type back in to complete the command, so there's no way it could be remotely triggerable or done on accident.  I recognize how big a level loss can be.
Locane

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:10:14 pm »

Sounds good to me.

If there's not enough fame in the game right now for quad 34s, maybe we should lower the fame requirements.

When Savaria comes online, there will be a lot more available though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: