Alter Aeon Community Forum
October 17, 2018, 12:12:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do explorer points work?  (Read 4958 times)
germs

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:04:31 pm »

I've read the help page on explorer points but am still curious as to the mechanics of the system. I've visited every room of a particular rack and spent several hours there but have not yet gotten all the available explorer points. Am I required to collect a minimum number of items from the rack or kill a minimum number of it's mobs? Do I need to spend a minimum amount of time in each room? can i speed walk through the rack and visit every room and then just sit in 1 room for like 6 hours and get all the points? ect.
Please elaborate on the mechanics. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:21:38 pm by germs » Logged

You are too exhausted to do that.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:49:23 pm »

There is a maximum number of points available in each area, based on the area size and area type.  As you an explore an area, you can become eligible to receive those points.  Every few minutes, the game checks to see if you're eligible for more points in that area than you currently have.  If you are eligible, it gives you one more.
Draak

god of ice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:03:30 pm »

I like the concept of explorer points (I think the gold rewards are waaaay too metagame, but meh). Is there any chance of getting a room specp that triggers quests or quest stages?

I probably wouldn't ever use it to begin quests, but it would be useful for a large maze-type area, or a quest where you have checkpoints you have to make it to. For instance, you could make a quest to go on a pilgrimage to different holy sites and then report back to a priest. Or you could have a quest to discover a secret chamber in an ancient tomb.

Nothing special there.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 04:45:09 pm »

I think this is largely doable with existing code, though certain things might have to be cheesed (doing something to trigger a quest advance dproc or similar when you reach the target area.)  Hooking it up to explorer points seems like a really bad idea though; it's just not that kind of mechanic, because of the way they're calculated.
Draak

god of ice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:51:32 pm »

If I were to try to it now, I could:

Have a room iact with a "waitfor player" that loads a mob that has a specp 16 that targets player and that mob also would have an iact that waits for the sent to self string of the specp 16 which loads an object with an usechar dproc that advances the quest that the mob uses on the player who's name it saw in the sent to self string of the specp 16.

The mob could already be in the room, of course, but then it has a chance of being detected and being way out of place.

The room iact could also wait for a door to be opened. This would be slightly cleaner as it would give the room the player's name, though it would require that

1. rooms be able store strings from iacts, which they currently can't
2. iacts would have to be able to trigger quests

In all cases, the iact could easily miss the player if they were speed walking (the iact would trigger, but the player would not be in the room for the mob to hit it or for the next stage of the iact to fire off), unless I built lag into the room. Also, if they player is using stealthy movement, darken, invisibility and rancid flesh, the trigger mob in the first two examples might not see them no matter how high level I made it.

I never said nothing about no hooking nohow to no kind of explorer points. I would like a room specp to handle it.

Nothing special there.
Fehlan

WALKING SHADOW, BURNING PAIN

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 05:06:06 am »

Also, in the first two examples, if the trigger mob had to be high level to detect the player, it would be a mystery fame as well, and nobody likes mystery fame Tongue Could make it so mobs could be given holylight? Cheesy workaround, I know, riact would probably be just as easy to implement, without the extra baggage.

From one shadow to the next, only a brief glimpse is left....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: