Alter Aeon Community Forum
October 20, 2018, 12:51:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alter Aeon 18th Anniversary  (Read 3458 times)
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:20:04 pm »

The official 18th anniversary of Alter Aeon is the 15th of January, and we'll be having several days of events this year:

Starting Tuesday, January 15th, I'll be leading a handful of tours and death marches for anyone who wants to join.  I'll be picking zones I'm familiar with and know some history on, and we may have some other gods willing to tell stories about their areas as well.

Starting Wednesday, we'll be running the 1995 version of the game server on port 4000.  I'm going to leave it up for a week to allow people to explore and run some leveling contests.

At the end of the week, we'll be running a three day event with pieces of the main storyline on each of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  The theme for this year is 'frost demon storm', with merely continent wide destruction instead of the universe ending peril of previous years.

We hope to see you there!

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com
owyn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:16 pm »

Sounds like a lot of fun.  Have you set a time when the festivities will start?  I don't want to miss anything!

Also, Is there a way to login with the Dclient to the 1995 area on port 4000 when it opens?  Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but a few hints would be appreciated. 
I do miss whacking on the captain of the guard, thantos, coronado, the viking village, and the way things were when Alter Aeon started.  These special events really add to the enjoyment,

Thanks,
Owyn
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:06:34 am »

Owyn, yes, you should be able to connect to other ports with the dclient, as long as they're on the same server (which the 1995 port will be.)

To connect on a different port, log off or disconnect without closing the client, then type (for example) 'connect 4000' to connect to port 4000 instead of the default.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 06:07:12 am »

As an update to the Alter Aeon anniversary celebration, here's the schedule for the next two days:

Tuesday, Jan 15 - Old area tours

Dentin (and possibly other gods) will be running tours of some older areas, complete with many monster killings and color commentary.  The tour schedule is:

10 am PST - Fire World of Khinzhai, all levels except the surface

1 pm PST - Wyvren's Hell, a very old offline area

4 pm PST - Kefka's Castle Dragnok

7 pm PST - Abyrimoch and some areas under Dentin's Moria

10 pm PST - Kefka's haunted mansion

Wednesday, Jan 16 - 1995 server version contests

The 1995 server version will be started around 10:00 am PST, and the various contest types will be announced and posted at 12:00 pm PST.

The most up to date schedule can be found in-game with the 'show event' command.  Thanks go out to all the players and builders who helped keep the game running for nearly two decades!
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:18:47 pm »

We're finally done (and I can take a break), and I'd like to thank everyone for participating in the various events:

- The tuesday marches went really well, and I got to give some of the ancient history for areas I built or was involved in at the very start.  I should probably do tours more often.

- A lot of people had fun on the 1995 server port, and there's even some people playing over there right now.  As old and user unfriendly as it is, it's still just a damned good game, and I think we had a much more solid base on which to start AA than I originally gave it credit for.

- After a slow start, Scribe and Grolantor's expansion to their woodland retreat has been very popular, with people still trying to work their way through all the details and deeds.

- The Friday storyline gave background for the event, allowing players to learn about the frost demon, and threat posed to the whole mainland.

- The Saturday storyline ended with players unlocking an ancient spell, a piece of powerful lost magic.  This spell is now permanently unlocked and you can expect to see it used in up and coming areas.

- The Sunday event followed brave groups in their assault upon the ice fortress of the frost demon, leading to its eventual defeat and banishment from our realm.

A special shout out goes to Morpheus and Inessa, without whom there would have been no fortress to assault.  They both spent a lot of time behind the scenes making sure things were ready, and I know it killed Morph to know that he couldn't participate in some of the pieces because he had too much insider information.

I learned some things this year, and hopefully next year's anniversary will run a bit smoother.  Here's to another year of AA!
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:12:44 pm »

The final writeup of the Alter Aeon anniversary events for this year can be found at:

http://alteraeon.com/events/130120_18_year_anniversary.html

See you at next year's events!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: