Alter Aeon Community Forum
January 22, 2018, 06:19:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tome of Dentin  (Read 8040 times)
Cu

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2009, 01:44:50 pm »

How about a random object that gives gold points, xp or a couple of practices (enough to make it worth while, but totally random) dotted throughout the mud in easy and hard places. A Tome of Dentin or something such. Could maybe have 5 or 6 a reboot, might make people explore more.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 02:29:02 am »

I'd actually prefer to crank up the 'double exp' area stats instead.  I really don't like the idea of random teleported books, though I suppose it could technically work.  This would be easy enough to do with a mob and some iacts though, no need for a code change.

Generally, I think things like this simply cater to the small number of people who would always go after it for the reward, and pretty much always get it.  It would be very little fun for people if Watery for example always went for it first.
Cu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:18:01 am »

Ya I agree, the likes of Watery and Craig would go for it, but have it maybe non-quad then.

I've seen it on other muds called an Orb, were it gives you random practices, quest points and gold. Just adds another element of fun to the mud.
Madrox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:25:04 pm »

you can always randomize the mobs, and add it in a couple of differnt mobs that would take away the effect of people going right for it

The Keeper Of Life
Shift

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:17:51 am »

Hmm...

I really think it's a great and fun idea if well implemented - no reason to have the same group of players constantly getting the tome/orb or specific object in question.

The effects could be very varied - hit/dam, regen, ac, pracs, exp, etc...and ALSO have orbs that do the opposite. If a player is constantly hoarding the orbs, they'd start getting the penalties a lot more often (damnation?!), making it really unattractive to hoarde. If it's the first time in someone gets the orb, they'd almost definitely get a bonus. Second time, a less likely to get a bonus. And so on...Vivi would always get penalties, of course (heh).

There could be some kind of timer to determine whether you'll get a bonus or a penalty, the lower the timer, the higher the chances you'll get a bonus.

Um, I also realize this wouldn't be a top priority or anything, but it'd be nice to have it queued

Comments?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:31:18 am by Shift » Logged

Shift
Cu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 08:54:21 am »

Ya I agree with shift, little things like that make the mud good. Now with the extensive player events we are having its good that mini events like this could be added.
boa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 01:15:54 am »

Ya I agree, the likes of Watery and Craig would go for it, but have it maybe non-quad then.

I've seen it on other muds called an Orb, were it gives you random practices, quest points and gold. Just adds another element of fun to the mud.

Non-quad? Fear the 32's...
boa

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 01:23:53 am »

Hmm...

And so on...Vivi would always get penalties, of course (heh).

Wtf is this about?  Leave Vivi the hell alone.
chris crocker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 03:03:02 am »

LEAVE VIVI ALONE!!!   Cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc&feature=PlayList&p=A2C58CDFF32FA25C&index=0&playnext=1

Replace 'britney' with 'vivi'
ox

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 06:47:59 am »

The only solution i see to Watery/Cu orb hunting the rest of us out of all of our fun: Have 5 sets of 2 orbs, 2 for each level bracket. If people aren't the appropriate level, the orb won't work for them.

bracket possibilities:

1-45 (found only on newbie islands?)
46-75
76-100
100-110
110+

I think it would be an interesting and fun addition to the MUD, and it would certainly encourage exploration I think. The problem with double exp areas as an exploration aid is that double exp usually lands on areas that are avoided for a reason, like tashadar. An element of randomness would be better, because it would send people all over the place.
germs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 05:23:26 am »

You know this isn't a bad idea. Here's my variation on it. At any given time in the mud there are will always be 20 little orbs randomly teleported about. Whenever you come across one and pick it up you get some little reward. A million xp, 10k gold, a full restore, ect. So, you come across one and pick it up and it goes *POOF* and you get your million xp and now there are only 19 in the game. When this happens a new orb gets automatically generated and teleported.

Whether or not these things are allowed to show up on locate object is something that can be debated.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:40:31 am by germs » Logged

You are too exhausted to do that.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 03:48:23 am »

Not bad.  Might be worth doing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: