Alter Aeon Community Forum
October 17, 2018, 11:40:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Skin job  (Read 11821 times)
Skoal
Administrator

Fingering the Muse

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2009, 04:21:23 am »

Finished the first draft.

Later, I'm thinking about toning down the contrast of these suddenly annoying brilliant white text boxes I just discovered.

FEEDBACK PLEASE on the branding.  I tried to make it as identical to http://alteraeon.com/ as possible.

Someone take a look at it in IE.  It if looks like crap, stop using IE.  Thank you.

Skoal
Administrator

Fingering the Muse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 05:02:26 am »

Text input areas are controlled by the client operating system, not modifiable with CSS.

Madrox

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 08:12:14 pm »

i use both mozilla and ie and the text and site looks good... and it works for both from as far as i know....

The Keeper Of Life
Skoal
Administrator

Fingering the Muse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:25:50 pm »

i use both mozilla and ie and the text and site looks good... and it works for both from as far as i know....

Thanks!

Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:53:57 am »

Skoal:

Honestly, I'm not sure about the branding.  It looks really good, but it's very dark and may dissuade people from using it.  (The main AA pages have the same concern, but I haven't really dared make major skin changes there yet.)  How hard is it to change out the skin?  Is it something that could be changed out later without major effort, or does it become more set in stone the longer we wait?

Please note that I don't have any recommendations for improvement.  I don't think I know enough what I'm doing for that.  I just want to make sure that it doesn't become a bigger job later.

FYI on the main AA pages, right now we have a black/red/orange "demon horns" theme.  I have on my board to make both a black/green "troll" and white/blue/yellow "angel" theme at some point.  Ideally, I'm going to try to set up the CSS and compiler to change themes once every few months.  I suspect the angel theme, with its brighter colors, might be better overall.  That's still quite some time out however.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 02:22:17 am »

I posted some stuff over in Shift's ideas area on the other board, and after thinking about it a bit more I'm pretty sure the following boards, in this order, would be reasonable:

- System Announcements - Game status, recent updates, network status, etc.

- Game Events - For planning, talking about, and posting results of in-game events.

- General Discussion - Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

- New Players - New to Alter Aeon?  Got a question?  Post here.

- Trading, Selling, and Buying - Gold, equipment, clans... buyer beware!

- Forum Feedback - For discussion on how to improve the forums and web site.

Do these look suitable?  This board (Site Updates) could easily be the 'forum feedback' area.  Unless there's a huge objection, I'd like to try them.  Can I make my own boards?  I think I'll go experiment some...
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 02:24:46 am »

Oh kick ass, I'm going to try to modify the boards myself!  All hands on deck!  If I don't post back in 15 minutes, come find me.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 02:39:33 am »

I apparently just added a bunch of boards.  I left 'Site Updates' alone, as I figured over time that would probably migrate to be an 'admin only' board.

A few more things:

- Is there a way to safely get the analytics javascript into the page source?

- Would it be possible to validate new accounts via pfiles?  I can help create scripts capable of managing that.

- Can I have an 'at' or other job do automated posts, for say changelog updates?

Anyway, it looks good, I'm going to go post the address on the mud.  We should see a handful of new users in the next day or so.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 03:09:22 am »

More things:

Bug report from Uicli: Dentin, I'm getting a 404 on the following images on the forums: maintab_active_first, maintab_active_back, and maintab_active_last.gif

Regarding backups:  Will this be automatically included in the backup script thingy that runs nightly?
Skoal
Administrator

Fingering the Muse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 03:14:04 am »

Skoal:

Honestly, I'm not sure about the branding.  It looks really good, but it's very dark and may dissuade people from using it.  (The main AA pages have the same concern, but I haven't really dared make major skin changes there yet.)  How hard is it to change out the skin?  Is it something that could be changed out later without major effort, or does it become more set in stone the longer we wait?

Its a bitch.  Its not just flipping hex codes in style sheets, I hand modify every. single. image.  It doesn't get harder the longer we wait, nothing really changes - its just new projects are easier to focus on.   If you'd like a branding change, just let me know, but at this point (all the new users) I'd prefer to make a mirror-site to work on real-time rather than disturb production.  Think about it and get back with me.  BTW; black is VERY difficult to work with.  This site would look much more 3-dimensional with lighter colors, then again, everyone is doing that - the work which goes into this site will ultimately make it unique.

FYI on the main AA pages, right now we have a black/red/orange "demon horns" theme.  I have on my board to make both a black/green "troll" and white/blue/yellow "angel" theme at some point.  Ideally, I'm going to try to set up the CSS and compiler to change themes once every few months. 

My lj banner rotates every 5-minutes because of a cron script I wrote on xirr.  We can certainly move new themes in and out easily once we've built them all.

Skoal
Administrator

Fingering the Muse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 03:14:46 am »

More things:

Bug report from Uicli: Dentin, I'm getting a 404 on the following images on the forums: maintab_active_first, maintab_active_back, and maintab_active_last.gif

I'm aware of that - its why the HOME tab is blacked out, BTW.

Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 03:30:28 am »

Ok, thanks for the info/updates.  We'll go black for now, and I can possibly help you do reskinning in the future, now that I sorta know how to operate Gimp.  The black is starting to grow on me now that I've spent some time working with it.

I've noticed this a lot recently - I instinctively hate pretty much anything visual I see that differs from what I expect or what I've seen before.  It only takes a couple of hours, sometimes even 15 minutes for me to change my mind.  I'll have to spend some time thinking about why that is and how that part of my brain is working.
Shift

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 03:33:30 am »

I personally like the black skin a lot. It's easy to read and it's like the main page of dentinmud.org.-
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:06:10 am by Shift » Logged

Shift
Skoal
Administrator

Fingering the Muse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 03:34:25 am »

Please don't use GIMP.

http://dentin.livejournal.com/51119.html

KTHXBYE

Skoal
Administrator

Fingering the Muse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 11:18:21 pm »

Fixed.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: