Alter Aeon Community Forum
April 22, 2018, 12:32:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration is enabled!  Please register using the name of your primary character in-game.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about binding.  (Read 7470 times)
germs

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:47:01 am »

Dentin said:
  "I primarily bind equipment to clear up arguments and get things loading, not because the objects are too powerful."

My question is:
   why don't you alter rarity/pload/maxload on an item instead of binding it?

what advantages does binding provide over altering the rarity/pload/maxload of a particular item?

You are too exhausted to do that.
Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 02:27:58 pm »

Because binding ends fights, full stop.  A bound, fully loading item is no longer a limited resource which can be possessed and sold; it becomes an unlimited resource of limited value to any individual player.  It inverts the dynamic, and fixes an entire class of problem in a way that none of the other suggestions do.

There's a time and a place for each.
germs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:55:02 pm »

1.running eq is an activity on this mud. it's one of the reasons that people log in.
some of the other activities include running xp, doing quests and chatting.
the more things become bound the less of an activity running eq becomes.
the less appealing it is to log in every day.

2.is setting the rarity so low on a piece of eq that it never rares-out really that
unacceptable of a solution to get things loading again?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:53:02 am by germs » Logged

Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:43:54 pm »

1 - No question asked.

2- If rarity is too high, the item never loads.  If rarity is too low, the item loads always and is hoarded.  I generally bind items that are in extremely high demand and would be subject to hoarding if the rarity allowed it to load.  Binding kills hoarding.

It's not a perfect solution, but it does seem to work pretty well.  The issues described in 1 are some of the drawbacks, and the reason I don't just bind everything.
germs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:01:46 am »

If rarity is too low, the item loads always and is hoarded.  I generally bind items that are in extremely high demand and would be subject to hoarding if the rarity allowed it to load.  Binding kills hoarding.

The purpose of hoarding is to rare out a piece of eq so that nobody else can run it.
If the item really did always load then there would be no point in hoarding it.

Dentin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:25:07 pm »

Actually, there's a lot of reasons to hoard stuff.  I used to do it a lot on Hidden Worlds:

1) because other people haven't figured out how to run it yet and you can sell them for a profit;
2) because it's new and noone else has any;
3) because your friends might need it to (I provided tantalhors to a dozen people once out of my hoard);
4) because it might rare or maxload out, and you won't be able to get more;
5) because it's fun to see how quickly you can run a mob, and you happen to get the eq;
6) because you really like the way an item looks;
7) because you have infinite storage and you like the idea of having 15 shields of driebrant;

etc.

A lot of the more powerful reasons revolve around transferring the equipment to other characters, specifically 1, 2, and 3.  Getting rid of those by binding the equipment drastically reduces the hoarding issue, and makes it possible to take off the maxload and rarity, also eliminating number 4.  While it does have some down sides (less trading), it's so far been a net positive IMHO.

I still think that affinity based equipment is a much better long term solution.
ox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 05:16:53 pm »

I have no understanding of your logic here. Running equipment is exactly the same regardless of if it is bound or not. Unless you're talking about running equipment you don't want or need, in which case go run something you need.
germs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 02:04:08 pm »

I have no understanding of your logic here. Running equipment is exactly the same regardless of if it is bound or not. Unless you're talking about running equipment you don't want or need, in which case go run something you need.

After a while a mudder will have obtained everything that they need. At this point running eq that you don't need, in order to sell/trade, becomes an activity.

ox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 06:23:19 am »

After a while a mudder will have obtained everything that they need. At this point running eq that you don't need, in order to sell/trade, becomes an activity.

Name a mudder who has obtained everything they need please.
germs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:43:56 am »

Name a mudder who has obtained everything they need please.

With the exception of some stuff that doesn't load, I have obtained everything that I need.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: